Prompted by a discussion between Peter Taylor and myself, I'd like to solicit the community's opinion on the following issue:
Should awarding score bonuses for extra features disqualify a challenge from being tagged as code-golf, or is it enough that the primary scoring criterion is code length?
Also, does it matter if the bonus scores are only used to break ties between equally long answers (as in this challenge), or if the bonus can be formulated as an unusual length-counting rule (e.g. this challenge, where, effectively, the eight characters comprising the string "
goldbach" are free if they appear in the code in that order)?
- Happy Birthday to Me! (the challenge that sparked this discussion)
- Find columns where all characters are the same (one of my own old challenges, features a −½ char tie-breaker bonus)
- Draw the Olympic Games logo
- All Your Base Are Belong To Us (Restricted)
- Count sum of all digits
- The shifting dot
- Generate a random program in your favorite language
- Star programming!
- Create a rotating quine
- Shortest Program to Sort a List of numbers into Odd and Even Category
- The Strange Unsorting Machine for Nefarious Purposes
- Build an analog clock
- Determine if a number is divisible by 13 (without using 13 itself)
- Implement hyperexponentiation/tetration without the use of '^'
- Sum of (at most) 5 primes
- create an ascii progress bar
- Reverse Engineer Polling Statistics
- Hello World Rainbow
- Advanced Code Golf - Disk Operations, and File Allocation
- stupid restrictions and desert
- Make a simple IRC bot.
- Solve the 14-Pegs puzzle
- Compute the difference between two days.
- Convert radicals to mixed & entire radicals and to real numbers
- Unique Sudoku Finder
- Dice from Changing Random Generator
- Breaking Perfect Hangman in reverse, in reverse
- Sum of Products of Subsets
- Hide one message inside another
- Four weights to produce integer scale differences from 0 through 40 pounds
- Shortest self-modifying code to wish a happy New Year!
(List mostly compiled based on a search for [code-golf] bonus is:question, filtered to exclude simple false posistives and any questions where the bonus is "imaginary" or not well defined.)
"A competition which scores on a mixture of source length and some other criterion should be tagged [code-challenge] instead."
There doesn't seem to have been any meta discussion about this that I could find, so I figured I'd start one myself.