Edit: This is not the same as Language Handicap. Language Handicap advocated for a fixed number of characters to be subtracted, which really only applies to a subset of languages, such as C++. I am advocating for an arbitrary function, such as a ratio or possibly a linear combination. These are not at all the same.
Clearly, some languages are better for golfing in than others. A solution to a problem in golfscript, J or APL will almost always be shorter than one in Python, C or Java. Therefore, I propose we create a conversion function between scores in different languages, so that people with knowledge of different languages can compete against each other on an even footing.
- The conversion system should be based on results of popular code-golf questions.
- The system should be easy to understand and apply.
- The system should be to maintain, if new languages become popular.
I'd like to know what people think about two things:
- Is a conversion function like this a good idea? Will it be a net positive to the community?
- If so, what are good ways of determining this conversion function?