Recently a user joined the site asking a question that was an equivalent of the routinely closed, "hey guys please solve my homework for me". Here's the specific question I'm talking about. An existing user then proceeded to edit the question to make it more fitted to our site, and I voted to reopen the challenge due to this fact.
When asking in The Nineteenth Byte the overall consensus was that a challenge should not be edited to alter the original poster's intent. My few questions pertaining to this topic would be:
- Is it okay to take a malformed "closed" challenge from a new user like this and repost it as your own in a valid format?
- Is it okay to edit the question to make it 'valid' maintaining the original user's intent of solving the problem but making it relevant to our site?
My main discussion point here is:
- A new user posts a question without knowing the rules of the site.
- The question is actually a nice challenge that's not a dupe.
- The question is off-topic for one reason or another and gets closed.
- What do we do if we want the challenge, but well-formed?
Discuss correct courses of action please.