The current version of the script is 0.37.
I was inspired by this Meta post to write a UserScript that would automatically tally up the size of code blocks and display the count underneath.
A couple weeks later and I now have a giant UserScript that is over 32kb in size :)
Well, how can I install it?
I'm glad you asked! Since this is a UserScript, a few browsers allow you to install it by simply clicking on the link below and downloading it.
I have tested the script on Chrome (needs this workaround), Firefox (with GreaseMonkey), and Opera. It is reported to work on Safari using GreaseKit.
What does it do exactly?
This list seems to grow every day, but here is a (somewhat) exhaustive list:
Analysis and display of exact character count of each code entry (with syntax highlighting):
Note: you can even directly run some entries by clicking the '[Run]' link
Summary of entries for a particular question, including the current winner(s) for shortest code:
The ability to sort the answers on the page by the size of their code:
An evolving options menu for changing the settings for the script:
An experimental theme that can be injected onto the pages of the site:
What about updates?
Yes, this humble UserScript is now capable of updating itself. Every 24 hours, it checks to see if there is a new version available. If so, it will prompt you to download it. You will have the option of choosing not to install the update if you don't want to.
- 0.37 fixed support for some languages, deleted answers no longer count
- 0.36 added syntax highlighting
- 0.35 added warning for >30 answers, added live preview
- 0.34 added ability to run certain code entries
- 0.33 added menu item for reporting problems with the current page
- 0.32 made enhancements to theme, added more settings, changed about box
- 0.31 added options to dialog, added experimental theme
- 0.30 more reorganization, added smooth scrolling
- 0.29 complete reorganization of code, added HTML5 local storage support
- 0.28 added settings menu to top of page, fixed non-unique update URL problem
- 0.27 fixed script grabbing extra text for username field, added support for
- 0.26 added support for code-bowling posts
- 0.25 script now only runs on questions with code-golf tag
- 0.24 added DC programming language, fixed tab showing up on wrong pages
- 0.23 added special handler for C++ code entries
- 0.22 fixed links with new sort order, fixed multiple tied winners problem
- 0.21 added new sorting option
- 0.20 support for Firefox and Opera added, fixed jQuery include bug
- 0.19 added username, added more languages
- 0.18 added language to header, reorganized language code
- 0.17 fixed jQuery load bug, detects HQ9+ entries, fixed off-by-one count errors
- 0.16 fixed comment bug, moved header block, only first code block qualifies
- 0.15 added auto-update support
wc's count. I'll run it and report back. \$\endgroup\$
Code Golf UserScriptfrom? The source link return no file. Is there somewhere a new project page? \$\endgroup\$