I am working on creating a king-of-the-hill that involves using playing cards, but I am not sure what the best way to represent them textually is.
Here are some alternatives I have considered:
Note, the samples show a hand consisting of the Ace of Clubs, Ten of Clubs, Five of Hearts, Five of Spades, and Queen of Spades.
Represent rank with digits
10, and then
K, and suit with
1C 10C 5H 5S QS
0to represent a ten:
1C 0C 5H 5S QS
- Each card is represented by the same number of characters.
- Somewhat less readable.
Use numbers to represent all ranks:
1C 10C 5H 5S 12S
- Might be easier to parse, somehow.
♥to represent suit:
1♣ 10♣ 5♥ 5♠ Q♠
- Much easier to read.
- Might be more difficult for languages that have problems with extended charsets.
1, for an ace:
A♣ 10♣ 5♥ 5♠ Q♠
- Makes it a little bit prettier.
Some combination of these alternatives.
Use a custom character set to encode the cards.
- Much more efficient.
- Can't view it very easily.
I am rather partial to formatting them like
A♣ 10♣ 5♥ 5♠ Q♠, but I would like to see what others think about this issue.