The Nineteenth Byte, CGCC's main chat room, is no stranger to silliness. However, especially recently, I've felt there's been a much larger volume of off-topic conversations. In order to prevent discussion of the site being buried, I propose that we create a second room, for TNB's silliness or otherwise excessively off-topic discussion.
- Improves the signal-to-noise ratio of our main room
- Makes our site appear a bit more professional
- Allows off-topic discussions to continue without being interrupted by on-topic discussion and events, and vice versa
- We already need to make and maintain spin-off rooms like The Edge of Propinquity or Unicode Spam for particular types of off-topic discussion, so this could reduce need for future rooms to need to keep track of
- Brings more attention to CMCs, CMQs related to language development, sandbox feedback requests, dicussion of site policy, and other things that we wouldn't want quickly buried
- Prevents the starboard being spammed with off-topic jokes, instead of things on-topic to CGCC
- Determining what belongs in which room, and moving it, will take some work from ROs and mods
- The off-topic discussions could be possibly considered a part of the room's culture being taken away
- We'll need some way to communicate this to new users and ensure people choose the correct room to start a discussion in
- We'll need to ensure the room doesn't die out (this would only happen if a) off-topic conversation starts occuring in TNB exclusively again or b) we all suddenly stop discussing off-topic stuff at once)
I think this could be a good change, as the silliness being opt-in wouldn't hurt it much, and would stop on-topic discussion from being buried. Opinions?